As a native of Fayetteville, NC, it is my passion to contribute to the progression of Mental Health Care in the military and civilian community. In order to achieve this, I have sought out training in evidence based treatment methods and have dedicated time to training and mastery. In my practice, I primarily focus on Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)/Trauma and Stressor Related Disorders, Anxiety Disorders, Depressive Disorders, Bipolar disorders, Somatic Symptoms and Related Disorders. As a Tricare Certified Mental Health Counselor, I am equipped to help you work through challenges faced by active duty/retired service members and their families.
Sometimes your needs do not amount to a clinical issue. Are you facing a challenge or adjustment issue in life? Online therapeutic services may be a key to helping you cope and successfully progress through your life challenges. If you’re looking for extra support and guidance through a challenging situation or you’re just ready to move in a new direction in your life, I look forward to working with you to achieve your goals.
My theoretical orientation is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. However, I consider myself an eclectic therapist. Not all therapy models are right for every client or disorder. Many clients benefit from a multifaceted approach, which is the approach I take in most cases. My special trainings include Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and Heartmath Clinical Interventions.
As a solution-focused therapist, my goal is to help you uncover your true potential and lead a life that is worth celebrating. While we can’t change difficult situations of the past, we can work together to better understand and resolve challenges in your life. By applying complementary therapy approaches and techniques, we will unearth long-standing behavior patterns or negative perceptions that may be holding you back from experiencing a more fulfilling and meaningful life.
Whitney Gatling is a psychotherapist and Certified HeartMath Practitioner specializing in individual, couples and family therapy. She is licensed by the North Carolina Board of Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselors (LCMHC #10628) and maintains a private practice in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Whitney has successfully met the professional counseling standards established by the National Board for Certified Counselors and has earned recognition as both a National Certified Counselor and a Distance Credentialed Counselor.
Whitney has over twelve years of experience as a mentor, military mental health research assistant, and outpatient therapist. She completed her Bachelor of Science in Psychology at Fayetteville State University in December 2009. Whitney obtained her Masters degree from Capella University in September 2013, specializing in Mental Health Counseling. Currently, she is serving as a private practitioner working with a broad spectrum of clients.
Whitney’s primary areas of expertise include Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and Anxiety Disorders. In addition to being a prominent psychotherapist, Whitney has presented at local symposiums and general audiences on the topics of Caregivers Support, Communication Skills, Substance Abuse in the Workplace, and Stress Management.
Whitney is an interactive, solution-focused therapist. Her therapeutic approach provides support and practical feedback to help clients effectively address personal life challenges. She integrates complementary methodologies and techniques to offer a highly personalized approach tailored to each client. With compassion and understanding, Whitney works with each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they are committed to accomplishing.
Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling (CACREP Accredited)
- Specializing in General Mental Health Counseling
- Capella University, September 2013
- GPA 3.8
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Minor in Sociology
- Fayetteville State University December 2009
- GPA 3.314
License, Certifications & Awards
- Chi Sigma Iota – Counseling Academic and Professional Honor Society International (2012)
- Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor (LCMHC) #10628 January 2014
- North Carolina Board of Licensed Professional Counselors
- National Certified Counselor (NCC) # 671089 April 2016
- National Board of Certified Counselors
- Youth Mental Health First Aid Certified Training June 2014
- National Council for Behavioral Health June 2014
- Military and Family Life Consultant January 2016
- Tricare Certified Mental Health Counselor December 2016
- Certified Clinical Military Counselor December 2016
- Certified Telemental Health Practitioner January 2017
- Distance Counselor Certification January 2017
- Certified HeartMath Practitioner March 2017
- Additional Training
- Telemental Health
- Complex Trauma and Dissociation
- Internal Family Systems
- Military Mental Health
- Heartmath Interventions
- Youth Mental Health First Aid
- Clinical Trauma Training
- Interpersonal Neurobiology
Professional Activities and Memberships
- American Counseling Association
- Licensed Professional Counselors Association of North Carolina
- International Association of Trauma Professionals #D1285125
- National Counsel for Behavioral Health
- EMDR International Association #33693696
- Chi Sigma Iota – Counseling Academic and Professional Honor Society International
- National Board of Certified Counselors
- Military and Family Life Consultant (MFLC)
- Institute of Heartmath
Whitney is currently not accepting new clients and will be unavailable between February 8, 2023 – May 15, 2023. Please direct all correspondence to [email protected] or [email protected] during that time.